Your asthma COACH
1800 ASTHMA Helpline – Make the call
If you are interested in taking the first step to improve your asthma or find out if it could be better - ring our 1800 ASTHMA Helpline, and ask about The COACH Program® or ask your health care professional to refer you.
What is the COACH Program?
The COACH Program® is a confidential, free health coaching service delivered over the phone by Coaches from your local Asthma Foundation. The program aims to help people with asthma improve their general health and asthma control; as well as providing parents and carers with the support they need in their role.
The COACH Program is the world’s only evidence-based coaching program for the prevention of chronic disease, click here to learn more.
How does it work?
The COACH Program® runs for six months, with regular scheduled calls. Your Coach will contact you by phone, at a time suitable to you. At the end of each session your Coach will send you a letter recapping the call you have had, any recommendations and the time for your next appointment. Any health care professionals nominated by you will also receive a copy of the letter. All your information is confidential and will not be shared without your consent. You are free to withdraw from the program at any stage.
Your Asthma Coach will support you by:
- understanding your health needs and providing you with personalised information tailored to your lifestyle
- identifying gaps in your treatment and recommending a plan to align with Australian Asthma Handbook Guidelines
- working with you to set goals to achieve good asthma control
- -offering regular support with the same Asthma Coach each time; you can also ring your Asthma Coach in between sessions if you have any questions or would like further information.
- complementing your existing GP and/or specialist asthma care
Asthma Foundation staff have been supporting people with asthma for over 50 years. Recent program evaluation has shown that 70% of people receiving ongoing phone support showed significant iimprovement in their level of asthma control (Asthma Australia, 2016)
Make the call - 1800 ASTHMA Helpline