Triple A (Adolescent Asthma Action) School Program
What is the Triple A Program?
Triple A is a free, award winning, internationally acclaimed peer education program that improves asthma self-management and smoking resilience in young people.
What are the benefits?
- Students develop asthma self-management, asthma first aid and smoking resilience skills
- Senior students develop leadership and presentation skills
- Decrease in school absences due to asthma and asthma incidents at school
How does the Triple A program work?
Step 1: Triple A Educators (Unversity students) train volunteer year 10-12 students to be Triple A Peer Leaders during a one day workshop. Peer leaders acquire skills in group facilitation
Step 2: Peer Leaders deliver four sessions to Year 7-8 students using the peer leader's manual as a guide. Students learn about asthma self-management and smoking resilience through videos, games and activities
Step 3: Year 7-8 students relay what they have learnt to members of the school community, through creative arts and/or social media
What do schools receive?
Schools will receive the following resources:
- Student training and support from the Asthma Foundation of Victoria
- Triple A Peer Leader's manuals
- Triple A DVD (including 3 videos and program resources)
- Asthma first aid posters and magnets
- Assistance with student asthma care plans
- Schools can also request free patients and carers information sessions and/or update their staff asthma education
How can you get the Triple A Program to run at your school?
Since 2013 Asthma Foundation of Victoria has run the Triple A Program in several metropolitan and rural Victorian schools.
If you are interested in having Triple A at your school, please contact us by either calling 1800 ASTHMA (1800 278 462) or emailing us.
If you are from another state, please contact:
A/Prof Smita Shah - Project Director
Phone: 02 9845 6505
More information about the Triple A Program is also available on the University of Sydney website: http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/public-health/salsa-triple-a/