Since its inception, the Asthma Foundation WA has a proud history of funding “cutting-edge” and unique research into respiratory conditions in Western Australia.
The Asthma Foundation WA views research as essential to its goal of freeing West Australians from the burden of asthma.
WA's Research Program has been generously funded and the funds allocated will be presented as part of the annual National Asthma Week celebrations.
The WA Research Program has the following objectives:
- Promotion of asthma research by encouraging Western Australian based researchers to target asthma and promoting new researchers to an interest in asthma.
- Raising public awareness through public meetings and media coverage which promotes asthma research and the need for continuing research based in Western Australia.
- Funding of asthma research by providing financial support for selected research studies directed towards understanding the cause and mechanism of asthma, improving asthma treatment and management by doctors and patients and understanding the nature and scale of the impact of asthma on the community.
- Lobbying for increased resources by liaising with governments to provide increased resources for asthma research and patient services.
At present there is no cure for asthma and we will continue to search for a cure, contribute to new treatments and better understand the impact of asthma on the lives of all Australians, young and old.
Funding of asthma research by providing financial support for selected research studies directed towards:
- Understanding the cause and mechanism of asthma.
- Improving asthma treatment and management by doctors and patients.
- Understanding the nature and scale of asthma's impact on the community.